- Entrants must be full time students, enrolled in an accredited academic degree program in the United States. Approved programs include architectural engineering programs, architecture programs, interior design programs, theatre, or industrial design programs. Because of the high level of competition, it is recommended that entrants be undergraduate seniors or graduate students.
- Only individuals may apply. Group projects are not acceptable.
- The fixture must be designed within the past year and while the entrant is a student.
- A faculty member at the student’s school must sponsor the application.
- One entry per student per year.
- Submit electronic pdf or ppt files of the application material according to Submission Instructions.
- The student’s proposed light fixture design should be illustrated on a maximum of four 11”x17” sheets of paper. These sheets should include a dimensioned plan and section of the light fixture identifying materials, a perspective sketch or rendering of the product, and a perspective sketch of the product in use. An optional candlepower distribution curve, without values, may be included to illustrate an understanding of the light distribution. Graphic illustrations may be drawn by hand or computer rendered. Include a maximum 250 word description of the products and their use. Materials not submitted in this format may be disqualified. Both presentation and conceptual design will be considered in the judging process.
- Optional: In addition to the above requirements, the student may build a model and include up to 5 images of the model, i.e., photographs or digital images. The purpose of the model is to demonstrate aesthetics and design. It need not be a functioning model. It may be constructed out of any material. The images should be included in the maximum of four 11″X17″ sheets.
- Do not submit actual model.
- The student is encouraged to consider the following criteria in the design process:
- Innovative character of the overall design
- Innovative and sustainable use of materials
- Breadth of practical application
- Practicality of manufacturing
- Ease of use and maintenance
- Light distribution and visual comfort
- Energy efficiency
Your entry consists of an “Application Form” and a Presentation that consist of a maximum of four 11”x17” sheets. (One of these sheets must include a maximum of 250 word description of the product and its use). These two components must be submitted as electronic files that are uploaded online.
- The Application Form must be submitted online along with 11”x17” Presentation.
- For a copy of the Application Form, download it at the bottom of this page. Save this interactive pdf file to your hard drive without completing it and rename the file by including your name in this format: “LastFirst_ApplicationForm.pdf”. After saving it to your hard drive complete the form. Form must include faculty member signature. Also, make sure to use the same email address throughout the submittal process. Follow these instructions to prepare and submit the “Application Form.”
- After printing the hardcopy of the “Application Form” make sure that your Last and First name have been added to the file name in this format: “LastFirst_ApplicationForm.pdf”. This form, with signatures, will get uploaded along with your presentation file by using the “Start Online Submission” at the bottom of this page.
- Presentation must be submitted online.
- The maximum four 11”x17” presentation sheets need to be in electronic format as follows: the sheets (pages) need to be grouped into one all-inclusive file that can be submitted online. This file can be prepared in one of these formats: 1) Multi-page PDF or 2) Multi-slide PowerPoint presentation. (Other presentation files should not be uploaded and will not be reviewed). Create a file name that includes your last and first name and identifies this file as your presentation, in this format: “LastFirst_presentation.pdf.” for pdfs or “LastFirst_presentation.ppt” for PowerPoint presentations.
- NOTE: The file size cannot exceed 15MB.
- When you are ready to make your Online Submission, use the “Start Online Submission” at the bottom of this page. Please fill in your first and last name, as well as, your email address making sure to use the same email address that is given on the “Application Form”. Click the “browse” button next to the upload field for both the “Application Form” and “Presentation.” Search for your completed “Application Form” (WITH signatures) AND “Presentation” PDF or Powerpoint Files. After your files are selected and the form is complete click “CLICK TO SUBMIT” button. It will take a few seconds or minutes to upload your files depending on their size. Do not leave this page until you receive the “Thank You” page confirming that your files have been uploaded.
- Online submissions must be received no later than April 16, 2020 at 6PM EDT/3PM PDT.